Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bread pudding made from banana bread

Going to go to Steve & Rob's for dinner. Will take wine. That goes without saying. Am offered a choice of bringing bread or a dessert.

I very seldom make dessert. In the last 15 years, I've made two apple-blue cheese tarts, and one boozy bread pudding. I volunteer to make dessert again.

And opt for doing a bread pudding.

I think it was a dinner that Matt Kantor did -- Sandy's win of a gourmet dinner at home -- that made me think of a bread pudding based on banana bread with some nutella on top.

So that's what I made! I confess, I cheated and bought the banana bread.

Cut it into slices, toasted it in the oven, and then cubed it.

Put the cubes into a loaf pan, covered with a very rich custard of 3 eggs, 2 cups of cream, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla. Then drizzled a whole lot of nutella over the top of the whole thing, and popped it into the oven until done.

I was surprised that the Nutella didn't melt more, really surprised.

The next day, dinner day, I bought some scrumptious Belgian dark chocolate truffles at Domino's in the basement of the St. Lawrence market, and some low-fat vanilla Hagen Dazs ice cream (it was the only vanilla they had, and believe me, the bread pudding wasn't low fat!).

At dessert time, I put the truffles in a microwaveable measuring cup, and nuked them until they melted.

Sliced the pudding, which I had warmed in the oven while we ate dinner.

To serve, I put a slice of pudding, a scoop of ice cream, and poured some molten truffles over all. Sorry I don't have a shot of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment