Sunday, January 24, 2010

Completed the oxtail soup

After roasting the meat for a couple of hours and then simmering it for another three, I finished making the soup today. I took it out of the fridge, scraped the fat off the top, and warmed it up: this was a necessary first step, as it was rich with gelatin, and quite solid.

After it was warm, I removed all the meat and bones (and bay leaves), and chopped and added the vegetables to the simmering broth:
carrots
celery
halved grape tomatoes
sliced cremini mushrooms
chopped celeriac
quartered & sliced Jerusalem artichokes

and let them cook slowly in the broth while I stripped the meat off the bones.

I then added the meat back to the soup, and when it had come up to temperature, checked for seasoning. I added some more salt, some dried chives, parsley, a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce, a couple of dashes of liquid smoke (when I tasted the soup, I thought: "hmm. bacon would have been good" but I didn't have any, so just a little liquid smoke. Not enough that it's a strong presence. It lurks in the background).

Then the final ingredient: some chopped frozen spinach. It needed something green. At that point, I turned the heat off (it was hot enough to cook the spinach), and waited for it to cool down. I had intended to add some pot barley to the soup, but only remembered that when I was putting the spinach in, so much too late. The barley will have to go in another soup another time.

10 servings of soup have now gone into the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment