Sunday, November 15, 2009

Variations on a theme

Apples - cheese - herb - and a splash of something. All together in a tart (mini or otherwise).

Today I ran across a recipe using apple and goat cheese on Seven Spoons -- which leads me to posit that any kind of savory dessert tart can be made from:
1 fruit
1 cheese
1 herb
1 nut
1 liquid to provide added moisture.

I'm thinking of where this could lead me in the future: starting with fruit, I'm imagining wildly different things with cranberries, or tangerines, or even kiwi or star fruit. What would happen with a custard apple? Or a passionfruit? Or if I start with cheeses, I can go wild, strong, mellow, or mild: the range from a hard nutty flavour through a blue cheesiness or over to goat or sheep or go mild with ricotta or buffalo mozarella. Nuts can be strong or pungent or contribute their own special oil. Wow, what a kaleidoscope of flavours to be had!

Let me know if you decide to make a tart, and what combination you choose to use.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm thinking along the lines of figs, patashios, mascarpone, balsamic vinegar for the extra moisture, but I'm stuck on an herb that would tie it altogether.

    ~Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. tarragon? what about lemongrass?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm; lemongrass might be too strong and tarragon; I'm just not sure. There has got to be an herb out there that would work with this combo. I'll bet we could find something at Richters.
    ~Betty

    ReplyDelete