Saturday, November 7, 2009

Stage 2 of cassoulet almost done

Beans cooking with spicy chorizo sausage, diced tomatoes, onion, shallot, garlic, celery, bay leaves, bouquet garni, and a couple of sprigs of thyme (and about a tsp of sea salt). Definitely not going to be bland like the last one!
Comes off the stove at 3, and then I'll try to pile it into my ceramic dish (hmm. will it fit?) together with pork belly and goose breasts. On to cook for another two hours at 4 (I don't think we'll need it before 6). Finish with some panko breadcrumbs and melted butter.

Bought some really interesting butter yesterday at the market (funny, I had just read about it on a blog within the last week). Whey butter. Someone said it had more flavour to it.  I'll find out today, both as it tops the cassoulet, and as the butter ingredient in the pate brisée that will surround the apples, thyme, maple syrup, and blue cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment